Get started with the Library
A guide to using the Library for students.
What does the Library do?
We’re here to support your learning throughout your University experience, even if it’s not what you expected it would be this semester. We provide you with:
- access to resources like books, journals and databases
- training to help you develop your study skills
- spaces to study if you’re on campus
- help and support, including IT support
Normally we’d be welcoming you in person, but we’re doing things differently because of the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 on our University campus.
Have you set up your University IT account?
- Before you can use the Library, you need to set up your IT account. Follow these instructions from IT Services.
- Once you’ve set up your account, you can monitor your physical book loans via your Library account in My Manchester.
How to access resources
- We’ve got one of the biggest collections of digital resources in the UK, so you’ll still have access to thousands of resources even when you’re studying remotely. Use Library Search to explore our collection - remember to log in to get the best results.
- Download and install our browser extensions, Library Access and LibKey Nomad. These help you see when the Library gives you access to resources you find while you’re browsing online.
Where to find training
- We’ve got lots of online training to help you step up to university-level study if you’re a new student, refine your existing skills if you’re continuing your studies, or undertake your postgraduate research project. Browse our training here.
Where to find your reading lists
- Many courses have online reading lists, and course leaders are adding more all the time. If your reading list is available, you’ll be able to find it when you log in to Blackboard from any device. Log in here.
- If your reading list isn’t online, your course leader will provide you with it. Use Library Search to locate the items you need.
How to get help and support
- We’re always here to help you. Contact us on Library Chat with your questions, and we’ll be there to answer you 24 hours a day. Click the yellow box on the right-hand side of our website to open a chat. You can ask us about accessing resources, studying and researching, and IT issues.
- Browse our online FAQs to find information you need.
How Library services are operating
We’re reopening our Library buildings in phases after the University’s campus closure. You can find out exactly how our services are operating at any given time on the Service availability page.
We’re working hard to safely reopen our library sites for you.
News and blogs
Find out the latest news and updates from the Library.