Alan Gilbert Learning Commons
The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons is a state of the art study and learning centre in the heart of the Oxford Road campus boasting an onsite café, an impressive atrium providing a social meeting space with WiFi access and flexible study spaces and environments throughout the building.
Tel: +44 (0)161 306 4306
The Learning Commons is open to students and staff of the University within our usual opening hours:
- Term time: open 24/7
- Out of term:
- Monday to Friday: 9am - 9pm
- Weekends: 9am - 5pm
Other visitors are welcome to enjoy our café facilities which are easily accessible to all visitors between 9am - 8.30pm Monday to Friday, and 9am - 4.30pm at weekends.
- Thursday, 2 January: Opens 9am (24/7 opening begins)
- Friday, 10 April: Closes at 9pm
- Saturday, 11 April – 9am-5pm*
- Sunday, 12 April – 9am-5pm*
- Monday, 13 April – 9am-9pm*
*Please note that the Learning Commons will be staffed by a security team on these dates.
Thursday, 2 January to Friday, 10 April 2020
- Tuesday, 14 April: Opens 9am (24/7 opening resumes)
- Saturday, 6 June: Closes 5pm
- Sunday, 7 June: 9am to 5pm
- Monday, 4 May and Monday, 25 May 2020: Please note that the Learning Commons will be staffed by the security team on these dates.
Tuesday, 14 April to Sunday, 7 June 2020
The Learning Commons offers tours of this spectacular building to The University of Manchester staff, and visitors to the University.
The tours are a great way to explore and enjoy the building and see the facilities that are on offer.
To arrange a tour please contact us via Library Help:
The Learning Commons hosts a series of training sessions and workshops in a great learning environment.
My Learning Essentials offers a suite of online sessions and group workshops on library and information literacy; academic and study skills workshops; career and employability skills and skills clinics.
Find out more about the range of modules, workshop schedules and booking information through My Learning Essentials.
The learning commons offers great facilities for students, including:
- Exclusive group learning rooms
- Flexible break out and work spaces with multimedia facilities
- 400 fixed workstations with live update availability information so you don’t have to wait
- Multi-function devices (MFDs) for print, scan and photocopying
- WiFi access throughout the building including outdoor café areas
- Charging stations to charge laptops, tablets and smart phones (remember your cable!)
- Café and vending machine facilities
Code of considerate behaviour
All users of the Library are expected to adhere to our University of Manchester Library 'Code of considerate behaviour':
- Code of considerate behaviour