The Main Library holds the principal collections for teaching and research in the humanities, education, law, medicine, science and the social sciences.
The Main Library
+44 (0)161 275 3716
The last entry to the library will be 15 minutes before the officially advertised closure time. This is to ensure that all visitors can vacate the building safely and securely.
Access to the library is by valid University of Manchester ID card.
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 12am
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 12am
Saturday, 26 January to Friday, 5 April 2019
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 5pm
- Closed - Friday, 19 April to Monday, 22 April 2019
Saturday, 6 April to Sunday, 28 April 2019*
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 2am
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 2am
- Monday, 6 May and Monday, 27 May 2019 - Open from 9am to 2am.
- Please note that the Main Library will be staffed from 9am to 5pm and by a security team from 5pm to 2am on these dates.
Monday, 29 April to Wednesday, 5 June 2019*
- Thursday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: Closed
Thursday, 6 June to Sunday, 9 June 2019
Lost Property is normally handed into the Customer Services Desk of the Main Library.
All items are kept for a limited time, after which they are passed to the Student Services Centre.
We strongly advise you to contact the Customer Services Desk if you think you may have lost an item in the Main Library tel. +44 (0)161 275 3716 or use Library Help:
Toilet facilities in the Main Library are located in the Blue Area on all floors with the exception of the Ground floor. They can be found off the landings on staircase 1.
Facilities for disabled customers can be found on Blue Area Ground and Blue Area 1.
There are no prayer facilities within the library. However prayer facilities are available throughout the University Campus.
- Saturday, 15 September: Opens 9am (24/7 opening begins)
- Monday, 17 December: Closes 9pm