Take advantage of training and support
As a researcher at The University of Manchester, you have access to a wealth of expert support to help you get ready to publish your research.
We offer bookable workshops as part of the Library’s My Research Essentials training programme, as well as a 1:1 consultation service, and online guides you can access at any time including:
- The publishing process – what to expect
- Developing a publication strategy
- Academic publishing toolkit
- You’re published! What next?
The Library’s My Research Essentials programme offers three online resources to enhance your understanding of the academic publishing process:
The Pathways to Publishing service complements the academic publishing workshops delivered by each Faculty, which offer advice and guidance tailored to the needs, priorities and publishing culture of your discipline. Select your Faculty below to read a summary of the support available, and how to find out more:
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- Introduction to Research Publications – half-day workshop which runs twice per year, aimed at Early Career Researchers and Postgraduate Research Students
- Strategic publishing and journal reviewing – half-day workshop aimed at researchers with some experience of academic publishing who would like to become more involved in publication peer review and editing, and develop a broader publication strategy to enhance their research and personal profile
- The Faculty also offers systematic review support
- Check out the Faculty’s Doctoral Academy webpages for full information on Postgraduate researcher training and development, or contact Holly Dewsnip, Centre for Academic and Researcher Development (CARD) Administrator, for more information on training and development opportunities available for academic and research staff and postgraduate researchers: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Humanities
- Publishing in journals – 1 hour workshop which runs twice per year, focusing on choosing and submitting to a journal
- Future proofing your research – opportunity to hear from academics with significant publishing experience or who are journal editors share their experiences of different routes to publication, with a focus on seeking to maximise reach and impact
- Check out the Faculty’s Researcher Development pages for upcoming workshops and other training and support available
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Check out the Faculty’s Researcher Development pages for upcoming workshops and other training and support available
WriteFest is part of the University's contribution to Academic Writing Month (every November). A number of activities are held throughout the month to support you in writing for academic publication and to recognise and celebrate writing.
Many publishers offer online training and guidance to support early career researchers and first-time authors in feeling confident throughout the academic publishing journey, so check out the webpages of your chosen publisher. Most training material provided by publishers is free of charge to access and use, but if you are prompted to pay for any content, we recommend you contact the Library first, as there is likely to be equivalent support available to you as a member of The University of Manchester without paying a fee.
Read and use instructions for authors
Familiarising yourself with instructions to authors
Know and use your contacts
Finding out how your publisher provides support
Tools to help choose a journal
Choosing a journal or a publisher