Order a Book - students
We understand your frustration when you can’t get the book you need for your studies.
This is the Order a Book service for students.
- To order a chapter, please visit the Order a Chapter for students page.
- To order an article, please visit the Order an Article - students for students page.
- If you are a member of staff, please access the Order a Book for staff page.
Order books for your studies
If the Library doesn’t already hold a copy of the book you need, fill in the order form and we will get it for you.
- We will provide books electronically whenever possible. If we can’t order an e-book, we will order a print copy for you.
- This service does not include reading list resources: for any issues regarding availability of reading list items please speak with your course leader in the first instance.
- This service does not include requests for streamed video. For such requests, please follow visit the Streamed video access page.
Before ordering a book please note the following:
- Check that the Library does not already have a copy of the book: Search books
- If we have the book but it is out on loan please use the ‘Request a book’ service.
- Select your orders carefully so that we can manage demand effectively.
- All resources purchased by this service remain property of the Library and may be recalled.
How long will it take?
- We will make e-books available as soon as possible.
- Normally print books will be available within 25 calendar days of the initial request.
- You will be notified via email when the book is available (if this is a print copy you will be asked to pick it up from the ‘Collectme’ room).
If we can’t purchase your item, we will try to provide you with access to copies held at other libraries in the UK and overseas.
How long will it take?
- Books are usually supplied within 20 days although some items take longer to satisfy (as circumstances differ for each request).
- You will be notified by email through your University of Manchester address when your request arrives.
- To check the progress of your requests please contact us at email@example.com. If you provide your Library ID number we can check up on your requests more speedily.
Collect your items
- Items can be collected from the Smartlockers, which are located on Blue Ground in the Main Library, during advertised opening hours.
- You will need your library card to open the locker. Once the locker is open, your book will automatically be issued to your library account.
- Please ensure that your card is not blocked.
- If you have a charge of £10 or more on your library account, you won’t be able to collect your book. Fines and payments may be paid through the fine and fees section of My Account.
- Reference material: we will communicate with you as to facilitating access to Reference Only material.
Non-collection of material
Please contact us within seven days of your arrival notification if you no longer need the item.
Returns, renewals and overdue items
- Books must be returned by the date shown on the date slip we have placed in the book.
- Items borrowed from other libraries may be subject to immediate recall.
- Please return ILL books using the book returns bin for ILL material which is situated to the left of the ILL Smartlockers on the ground floor of the Main Library.
- All overdue items are fined at £2 per day.
- Any charges incurred as a result of late returns or lost and damaged items have to be met by the borrower. If an item is returned very late, you will be invoiced by the lending institution for a replacement copy. Please note that such charges can be very high.
- In some cases you can renew items borrowed from other libraries. Please contact us at least a week before the due date to see if this is possible
- There is a charge of £4.50 for renewing items borrowed from the British Library.
- If you have any queries about renewals of books supplied by other libraries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there anything I can’t order?
- Our own stock (including items which are out on loan). Always check Library Search beforehand.
- British Standards and overseas standards and patents. These are mostly available electronically although we are unable to purchase this material for you.
- Pre-1900 material. A vast amount of pre-1800 material is held electronically - see EEBO: Early English Books Online - for more information.
- Most theses - please see the Search Theses page for more information.