The Main Library is the largest library on campus and holds the principal collections for teaching and research in the humanities, education, law, medicine, science and the social sciences.
Christmas opening hours 🎄
- Saturday 16 December: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday 17 December: 9am - 5pm
- Monday 18 December: 8am - 8pm
- Tuesday 19 December: 8am - 8pm
- Wednesday 20 December: 8am - 8pm
- Thursday 21 December: 8am - 8pm
- Friday 22 December: closed
- Saturday 23 December: closed
- Sunday 24 December: closed
- Monday 25 December: closed
- Tuesday 26 December: closed
- Wednesday 27 December: closed
- Thursday 28 December: closed
- Friday 29 December: closed
- Saturday 30 December: closed
- Sunday 31 December: closed
- Monday 1 January: closed
- Tuesday 2 January: 8am - 2am
2 January to 26 January 2024
- Monday to Friday: 8am - 2am
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am - 2am
11 September 2023 to 15 December 2023
- Monday: 8am to 12am
- Tuesday: 8am to 12am
- Wednesday: 8am to 12am
- Thursday: 8am to 12am
- Friday: 8am to 12am
- Saturday: 9am to 12am
- Sunday: 9am to 12am
The Main Library
+44 (0)161 275 3751
Features and facilities
Library Living Room
Many of the Library's special collections are held in the Main Library. These include archives of the University of Manchester, Christian Brethren archives, a range of scientific books and post-1800 medical books, medical drawings and paintings, and maps.
Find out more about our current offer:
Bookable study spaces
There are 14 bookable study spaces in the Main Library.
Quiet space for children
If you need to bring your children into the Library and need a quiet place to study, you can book Group Study Room 1 in Main Library.
Quiet space for online meetings or lectures
If you need a quiet space to attend an online meeting or lecture, you can book study room 14 in the Main Library.
Group study rooms
There are 12 group study rooms in the Green area.
- Each room can be used in a booked session by a minimum of two and a maximum of eight people.
- The rooms are furnished with a large table and eight chairs, a PC and a 32 inch LCD monitor.
- You will need to login with your username and password to access these PCs.
Visit this page to book a group study room:
For more information about booking group study rooms visit Library Help.
IT and copying facilities
The Main Library is one of the University's major computer cluster locations. Most of the networked computers are located on Blue 1.
Many of the PC's are provided for specific purposes such as quick-use, library catalogue access and access for external users (academic research only).
Printers, scanners and copiers
Multi-function devices (MFDs) can be found throughout the building and provide print, scan and photocopying facilities.
If you need support with IT issues please ask a member of the Customer Services Team or contact our Digital Support Service team via Library Chat and Library Help:
Get in touch
An interactive map and floor plan has been developed to help you find your way around Main Library.
Find out more about the accessibility of our Library sites at The University of Manchester.
How and where to enquire about lost property.
Help and support
Visit our 'Library Help' portal to get in touch with us.
Get in touch