The Main Library holds the principal collections for teaching and research in the humanities, education, law, medicine, science and the social sciences.
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 3751
The last entry to the library will be 15 minutes before the officially advertised closure time. This is to ensure that all visitors can vacate the building safely and securely.
Access to the library is by valid University of Manchester ID card.
- Monday to Friday: 8am to midnight
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to midnight
Saturday, 25 January to Friday, 27 March 2020
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 5pm
- Closed - Friday, 10 April to Monday, 13 April 2020
Saturday, 28 March to Sunday, 19 April 2020
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 2am
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 2am
- Monday, 20 April and Monday, 25 May 2020 - Open from 9am to 2am.
- Please note that the Main Library will be staffed by the security team on these dates.
Monday, 20 April to Wednesday, 3 June 2020
- Thursday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: Closed
Thursday, 4 June to Sunday, 7 June 2020
Lost Property is normally handed into the Customer Services Desk of the Main Library.
All items are kept for a limited time, after which they are passed to the Student Services Centre.
We strongly advise you to contact the Customer Services Desk if you think you may have lost an item in the Main Library tel. +44 (0)161 275 3751 or use Library Help:
Toilet facilities in the Main Library are located in the Blue Area on all floors with the exception of the Ground floor. They can be found off the landings on staircase 1.
Facilities for disabled customers can be found on Blue Area Ground and Blue Area 1.
There are no prayer facilities within the Library.
Prayer facilities are available throughout the University Campus, you can select "places of worship" on the Interactive Map.