Order a Book - staff
Order books for your research.
This is the 'Order a Book' service for University staff.
- To order a chapter, please visit the Order a Chapter for staff page
- To order an article, please visit the Order an Article for staff page
- If you are a student, please access the Order a Book for students page
How it works
- If the Library doesn’t hold a copy of the book that you need for your research, complete the order form below and we will get it for you.
- We will provide books electronically whenever possible. If we can't order an e-book, we will order a print copy for you (you can then use the 'Request from shelf' service if desired).
- You can see information about delivery times on the order form.
- If you only want short-term access to a physical copy from another library, please tick the inter-library loans box towards the bottom of the online form (for further details see below)
- If you have any further information that may help us with sourcing your material please include it in the 'Comments' section in the online form.
- This service does not include reading list resources.
- This service does not include requests for streamed video. For such requests, please follow visit the Streamed video access page.
If we can’t purchase your item, we will contact you before we try for an inter-library loan. If you have specifically requested an inter-library loan we will try to provide you with short-term access to a physical copy held at another library in the UK or overseas. Find out more information about inter-library loans below.
How long will it take?
- Books are usually supplied within 20 days although some items take longer to satisfy (as circumstances differ for each request).
- You will be notified by email through your University of Manchester address when your request arrives.
- To check the progress of your requests please contact us at email@example.com. If you provide your Library id number we can check up on your requests more speedily.
- Items can be collected from the Smartlockers, which are located on Blue Ground in the Main Library, during advertised opening hours.
- You will need your library card to open the locker. Once the locker is open, your book will automatically be issued to your library account.
- Please ensure that your card is not blocked.
- If you have a charge of £10 or more on your library account, you won’t be able to collect your book. Payments may be paid through the fine and fees section of 'My Account'.
- Reference material: we will communicate with you as to facilitating access to Reference Only material.
Non-collection of material
Please contact us within seven days of your arrival notification if you no longer need the item.
Returns, renewals and overdues
- Books must be returned by the date shown on the date slip we have placed in the book.
- Items borrowed from other libraries may be subject to immediate recall.
- Please return ILL books using the book returns bin for ILL material which is situated to the left of the ILL Smartlockers on the ground floor of the Main Library.
- Any charges incurred as a result of late returns or lost and damaged items have to be met by the borrower. If an item is returned very late, you will be invoiced by the lending institution for a replacement copy. Please note that such charges can be very high.
- In some cases you can renew items borrowed from other libraries. Please contact us at least a week before the due date to see if this is possible.
- If you have any queries about renewals of books supplied by other libraries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our own stock (including items which are out on loan). Always check Library Search beforehand.
- British Standards and overseas standards and patents. These are mostly available electronically although we are unable to purchase this material for you.
- Pre-1900 material. A vast amount of pre-1800 material is held electronically - see EEBO: Early English Books Online - for more information.
- Most theses - please see the Search theses page for more information.
Contact the Order a Book team
If you have a query please get in touch by email.
Order books for your teaching
Order teaching resources and manage your reading lists.
Reading Lists Online