Our memberships are not all the same; levels of access available are dependent on your eligibility. If you are interested in joining the Library please look through the range of available memberships.
School and college leavers are able to use the Library's collections and spaces as part of the University's widening participation commitments free for the duration of their 16-18 studies.
Please take note of the proof of ID we require, any cost implications and the age restrictions that may be in place.
List of memberships
Browse our full list of memberships at The University of Manchester Library.
If you only require access to the Library for a short period, we can provide temporary reference passes. These are only available to people over 18 years of age. Please present a current ID with a photo (eg. passport or driving licence) to the Customer Services staff at the front desk.
To ensure everyone had the best experience when using the Library, we have a series of regulations that you should make yourself aware of.
How to apply
To apply for one of The University of Manchester Library memberships, please visit the Customer Service desk at Main Library. Please note that:
- You must bring any necessary photo ID with you
- Memberships can be processed at these times:
- Monday-Friday: 8am - 7:45pm
- Saturday-Sunday: 9am - 4:45pm.
- When you arrive at the Library you will be required to fill in our application form which we will use to process your membership immediately. If you need assistance in filling up these forms, please speak to a member of staff.
- We aim to produce each membership in ten minutes. During busy periods processing may take longer.