Alan Gilbert Learning Commons
The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons is a flexible study and learning centre boasting an onsite café, an impressive atrium providing a social meeting space with WiFi access and flexible study spaces and environments throughout the building.
11 September to 15 December 2023
- Monday: Open 24 hours
- Tuesday: Open 24 hours
- Wednesday: Open 24 hours
- Thursday: Open 24 hours
- Friday: Open 24 hours
- Saturday: Open 24 hours
- Sunday: Open 24 hours
Christmas opening hours 2024
- Saturday 16 December: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday 17 December: 9am - 5pm
- Monday 18 December: 8am - 8pm
- Tuesday 19 December: 8am - 8pm
- Wednesday 20 December: 8am - 8pm
- Thursday 21 December: 8am - 8pm
- Friday 22 December: 8am - 8pm
- Saturday 23 December: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday 24 December: 9am - 5pm
- Monday 25 December: closed
- Tuesday 26 December: closed
- Wednesday 27 December: 8am - 8pm
- Thursday 28 December: 8am - 8pm
- Friday 29 December: 8am - 8pm
- Saturday 30 December: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday 31 December: 9am - 5pm
- Monday 1 January: 8am - 8pm
- Tuesday 2 January: 8am - 24hrs
3 January to 29 March 2024
- Open seven days a week, 24 hours a day
Bank Holiday opening hours 2024
Alan Gilbert Learning Commons will be open and staffed by security only on the following dates:
- Saturday 30 March 2024 to Monday 1 April 2024
- Monday 6 May 2024
- Monday 27 May 2024
- Monday 26 August 2024
Alan Gilbert Learning Commons
+44 (0)161 306 4306
Features and facilities
Group study rooms
There are 30 Group Study Rooms throughout the building in the Alan Gilbert Learning Commons.
- They vary in size from between two and 12 people maximum.
- The rooms are furnished with a whiteboard and a PC connected to a media screen, excepting the two-person rooms. Laptops can be connected to the screens if necessary.
- Rooms are bookable between 9am and 9pm from Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday, but the rooms remain open throughout the building’s normal opening hours.
- Apart from the Group Study Rooms there are 24 open plan group study areas (not bookable) each with a PC and media screen.
Visit this page to book a group study room:
For more information about booking group study rooms visit Library Help.
IT and copying facilities
The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons is one of the University's major computer cluster locations and provides access to 330 PCs. As well as PC clusters and quick access PCs there are 18 open plan digital screens that can be connected to laptops.
There is a plug socket for each user at fixed furniture and additional plug sockets are available around the building.
Multi-function devices (MFDs) can be found at each PC cluster in the Learning Commons and provide print, scan and photocopying facilities.
WiFi is also available throughout the building.
Visit the IT Services website for more details about PC availability, pull printing and other services for staff and students:
The Learning Commons hosts a range of face-to-face, interactive training sessions on a broad range of topics to support your personal and academic development.
Find out more about the range of modules, upcoming workshops and online resources we offer through our My Learning Essentials skills programme:
Check out the Zzz Zone on floor 2 of the Alan Gilbert Learning Commons and enjoy a 20-minute power nap in the Pod.
Taking short naps can make you feel more alert, improve your productivity and reduce stress levels.
The Pod will time your nap, and provide ambient music and lighting to help you relax, re-energise and improve your concentration.
Food and drink
The Café located in the foyer serves a wide range of hot and cold food and drinks whilst providing a comfortable and relaxing environment for refreshment.
Dishes are made fresh daily and where possible using vegetables sourced from farms in the local area making the ingredients the freshest available.
Café and vending machine facilities are also available throughout the building.
Our café facilities are easily accessible to all visitors between the following hours:
- Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm
Get in touch
Help and support
Visit our 'Library Help' portal to get in touch with us.
Get in touch
How and where to enquire about lost property.