Manchester Joint Research Council Archive
Date range: 1944-1967
The Manchester Joint Research Council was set up in 1944 with the objective of improving links between University of Manchester and local industry. It was administered jointly by the University and the Manchester Chamber of Commerce, and had links to the government's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
The Council included representatives from the University's science and economics departments, while the Chamber was represented by some of the region's leading firms. The Council sponsored research into issues including graduate recruitment into industry, management education and the commercial application of university research. It also conducted surveys held seminars and ran a technical information service. The Council ceased to be active in 1964, and was formally wound up in 1972.
The MJRC archives comprises the minutes of the Council, financial records, correspondence files of the Secretary, membership records and its published reports.
The archive is an important source of information for the relations between the universities, business and government in the post-war period, including topics such as the commercial exploitation of research, industrial training and regional development policy.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.
<< Back to A-Z list