mobile menu decorative search icon decorativeSearch the site

Staff and students from other universities, colleges and schools

Staff and students from other universities in the UK and Ireland

Staff and students from other universities who are SCONUL members are also eligible to use The University of Manchester Library.

You may use the Library during vacation periods on production of a valid staff or student ID card, but during term time you must apply for membership through the SCONUL Access scheme.

You can borrow via the SCONUL Access scheme if you fall into the relevant category (up to four books for an academic year, excluding High Demand items).

You are unable to use the Document Supply service but can have access to some of the Library's electronic resources.

Staff and students from international universities

You can apply for reference access to the Library for up to two months on production of a valid university ID card. If you require access for longer than this period you must also provide an official letter from your home institution supporting your application.

School and College students

The Library can be used by students in the North West region who are taking A Levels or vocational and access courses.  Staff and librarians supporting these students in schools and colleges can also use the Library.  

See the Widening Participation section for further details.

Courses with special arrangements

The Library supports various categories of users who are not direct students of the University but may be studying or working in areas associated with it and may need to make use of the Library's resources.

As arrangements vary for each group, please contact the Membership Coordinator for information on 0161 306 4107 or via Library Help:

Vacation access

Students and staff from other universities can access the Main Library and Joule Library during our vacation periods.

You will need to bring your university ID/library card as proof of your status.

A vacation pass will be issued allowing you access during this period.

If you lose the pass, you will need to contact staff at the Main Library Customer Services Desk for a replacement.

Opening hours vary, check our locations and opening hours for the library you wish to visit.

You can make use of the facilities within the Library and also access e-journals and some databases via dedicated pcs located in the Main Library on Blue Ground. WiFi access is available via eduroam, you should check with your home institution IT Service Desk if you do not know how to configure your device.

If you require any further information about vacation access please contact the Membership Coordinator for information on 0161 306 4107 or via Library Help: