Library IT FAQs
What is my username and password?
If you are off campus and you have access to a PC with internet access, please visit the account recovery service page and complete the form there.
Alternatively you can speak to one our Student IT Support team located in Main Library, Alan Gilbert Learning Commons or Joule Library. Please ensure you bring your student card as a form of ID.
How do I print, how much is it and how do I pay for it?
When you login to a cluster PC, any printing you send will be handled via the pull printing system. For more information on the pull print system, visit the IT Services website or watch a how to video
Printing costs are as follows:
- A4 mono single-sided 5p
- A4 mono double-sided (duplex) 8p
- A4 colour single-sided 21p
- A4 colour double-sided (duplex) 40p
- A3 mono single-sided 10p
- A3 colour single-sided 42p
- A3 mono double sided (duplex) - 16p
- A3 colour double sided (duplex) - 80p
All prices quoted are on a per sheet basis.
NOTE: You will only ever be charged for work that has successfully printed, not beforehand.
You can credit your print account in the following way:
- Using the online ePayments system. You can credit your central printing account by using your credit or debit card.
How do I connect to the University wireless?
Please see the following guidance from IT Services:
Can I access the University network through WiFi or when I’m off campus?
The VPN (Virtual Private Network) service allows you to securely access the University’s network. Services you can access via VPN while off-campus are as follows:
- University staff and student intranets.
- File storage (P: drives).
- Applications within Faculties and Schools that are restricted to IP addresses on campus.
To download and install the VPN software, visit the IT Services website.
You must be a University of Manchester student or staff member to use the service, as you will need your central username and password.
Can I obtain and install software packages from the University? (eg: Anti-Virus, Office)
Are you able to help me with my personal devices? (eg. mobile)
Yes, we're more than happy to help and support you with your laptops, mobile phone and tablets.
Visit one of our walk up IT support desks to find out more: