Order a Book
We understand your frustration when you can’t get the book you need for your studies.
This is the Order a Book service for students. If you are a member of staff, please visit the 'Order a Book' for staff page:
Order books for your studies
If the Library doesn’t hold a copy of the book you need, fill in the order form and we will get it for you.
How it works
The Library is moving towards an e-first policy, so we will prioritise delivering your items as e-books. If we can’t order an electronic version of your book, we will order a print copy for you.
Before ordering a book please note the following:
- Check that the Library does not already have the book: Search books.
- If we have the book but it is out on loan please use the 'Request a book’ service.
- Please make a reasonable number of orders. This service is open to all students in the University and we would hope that students would not place excessive numbers of orders.
- Preference will be given to e-books as per our e-first policy. If we cannot order the book electronically we can order a print copy.
- All resources purchased by this service remain property of the Library and may be recalled.
How long will it take?
- E-books will be available three to five working days from the date of order approval.
- Print books will be available up to 25 calendar days from the date of order approval; 15% of items will be available in less than 10 days.
- You will be notified via email when the book is available for collection and asked to pick it up from the 'Collect me' room.
If we can’t purchase your item, we will try to provide you with access to copies held at other libraries in the UK and overseas. Find out more information below.
How long will it take?
- Books are usually supplied within 10 days. Some items may take longer.
- You will receive an email to your University email address when your request arrives.
- To check the progress of your requests, please contact us at email@example.com or on 0161 275 3741 and provide your Library ID number.
Collecting your items
- You can collect your items from the Smartlockers in Main Library. You’ll need your Library card to open the locker. This will also issue the book for you.
- You will be charged £10 if your item is not collected. Contact us within seven days of your arrival notification if you no longer need the item.
- If you have a charge of £10 or more on your Library account, you won’t be able to collect your book.
- Sometimes other libraries will only release material on a ‘Library use only’ basis.
- You can collect this material from the Main Library during core hours of 9am-4pm Monday-Friday. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a different time.
- Library Use Only material can be consulted within the Purple Ground (Map Room) Special Collections Reading Room.
Returns, renewals and overdue items
- Books must be returned by the date shown on the date slip we have placed in the book.
- Items borrowed from other libraries may be subject to immediate recall.
- In some cases you can renew items borrowed from other libraries. Please contact us at email@example.com or on 0161 275 3741 at least a week before the due date to see if this is possible.
- There is a charge of £4.50 for renewing items borrowed from the British Library.
- All overdue items are fined at £2 per day.
- You’ll be liable for any charges incurred as a result of late returns, or lost and damaged items.
- If an item is returned very late, you will be invoiced by the lending institution for a replacement copy. Please note that these charges can be very high.
Is there anything I can't order?
- Items that the Library holds (including items which are out on loan). See requesting books for more details.
- British Standards and overseas standards and patents.
- Market Research reports.
- Pre-1900 material. Try Early English Books Online instead.
- Most UK Doctoral Theses. Try EThos instead.
- Most overseas Theses. Try Proquest Dissertations and Theses instead.
If you're a graduate member with full borrowing rights there will be a charge of £9 per supplied request. Complete this form and submit it at the Customer Services Desk: Book request form.