Order a Book - staff
Need a book for your research? Order it here.
This is the 'Order a Book' service for University staff. If you are a student, please access the student service page.
Order books for your research
If the Library doesn’t hold a copy of the book that you need, complete this order form and we will get it for you.
How it works
The Library is moving towards an e-first policy, so we will prioritise delivering your items as e-books. If we can’t order an electronic version of your book, we will order a print copy for you.
You can see information about delivery times and options, including direct delivery to your office, on the order form:
If we can’t purchase your item, we will try to provide you with access to copies held at other libraries in the UK and overseas. Find out more information below.
How long will it take?
- Books are usually supplied within 10 days. Some items may take longer.
- You will receive an email to your University email address when your request arrives.
- To check the progress of your requests, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0161 275 3741 and provide your Library ID number.
Collecting your items
- You can collect your items from the Smartlockers in Main Library. You’ll need your Library card to open the locker. This will also issue the book for you.
- You will be charged £10 if your item is not collected. Contact us within seven days of your arrival notification if you no longer need the item.
- If you have a charge of £10 or more on your Library account, you won’t be able to collect your book.
- Sometimes other libraries will only release material on a ‘Library use only’ basis.
- You can collect this material from the Main Library during core hours of 9am-4pm Monday-Friday. Contact us at email@example.com to arrange a different time.
- Library Use Only material can be consulted within the Purple Ground (Map Room) Special Collections Reading Room
Returns, renewals and overdue items
- Books must be returned by the date shown on the date slip we have placed in the book.
- Items borrowed from other libraries may be subject to immediate recall.
- In some cases you can renew items borrowed from other libraries. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0161 275 3741 at least a week before the due date to see if this is possible.
- There is a charge of £4.50 for renewing items borrowed from the British Library.
- All overdue items are fined at £2 per day.
- You’ll be liable for any charges incurred as a result of late returns, or lost and damaged items.
- If an item is returned very late, you will be invoiced by the lending institution for a replacement copy. Please note that these charges can be very high.
Is there anything I can't order?
- Items that the Library holds (including items which are out on loan). See requesting books for more details.
- British Standards and overseas standards and patents.
- Market Research reports.
- Pre-1900 material. Try Early English Books Online instead.
- Most UK Doctoral Theses. Try EThos instead.
- Most overseas Theses. Try Proquest Dissertations and Theses instead.
Manchester Medical Society
If you're a full member of the Manchester Medical Society, complete this form and submit it at the Customer Services Desk: Book request form.
Contact the Order a Book team
Order books for your teaching
Order teaching resources and manage your reading lists.
Reading Lists Online