Order an image
The Imaging team provides digital images of our Special Collections material for research and publication.
Placing an order
Please complete the Imaging Service online application form.
- By placing an order or making an application for reproduction you are agreeing to our Terms and conditions
- Imaging Service prices
- Before placing your order, check our Library Digital Collections and Manchester Digital Collections to see if the Special Collections material that you require has already been digitised.
- If you require permission to publish any images of our material, this can be made on the Imaging Service online application form.
- Ensure you have the full bibliographic details of the item.
- You should also ensure that copyright restrictions are being observed when placing an order.
- We do not accept requests from Inter-Library Loan Departments; please refer individuals directly to our service.
- Payment will be requested in advance of an order being processed via our secure Imaging eStore.
- Our standard turnaround time from receipt of a completed application form is four weeks.
Preservation of the Library's collections is covered by our Collection Care Policy. It is our intention to make sure that all collections are preserved for the future. For this reason, we reserve the right to refuse any imaging service application which in our opinion may cause damage to the original material if processed. Where this occurs, we will explain to you why we cannot proceed with your original request, and offer an alternative if one is available.
Payment can be accepted from departments within the University by the internal transfer system. The official order must contain the finance journal transfer code in full to facilitate the transfer. Staff who supply the journal transfer code are exempt from VAT.
If you are unable to provide sufficient bibliographic data for us to process your order, you may wish to engage the services of a third party researcher to undertake a comprehensive search on your behalf.
The Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA) is a useful resource to help locate a local researcher.
We are happy to discuss all imaging services and applications for permission to reproduce images from our collection with you. Please contact us for special requests or requirements. We reserve the right to charge by the hour for more complex material. For further information please contact us.
Imaging and Permission enquiries
The University of Manchester
The John Rylands Library
Tel: + 44 (0)161 306 6559