Useful map websites
On this page:
- World (modern and old maps)
- United Kingdom and Ireland (modern maps)
- United Kingdom and Ireland (old maps)
- Manchester (modern and old maps)
World (modern and old maps)
- Perry-Castenada Map Library University of Texas - wide range of current and historical mapping, downloads available
- Worldmapper Maps with territories resized according to subject of interest, e.g. Land Area to Population
- CIA World Factbook Printable reference maps
- United Nations Mapping UN mission mapping, country profiles, refugee agency maps and current affairs
- David Rumsey Map Collection Digitized maps, mainly the Americas from 18th & 19th centuries. May be reproduced for non-commercial use
- Old Maps Online Search engine providing access to online historical maps from libraries around the world
- National Collection of Aerial Photography One of the largest collections of aerial photography featuring historical events and places around the world.
United Kingdom and Ireland (modern maps)
- Council for Ecology and Hydrology Land Cover map 2007
- Digimap University of Manchester staff and students only. Ordnance Survey, Geology and Marine maps and data
- Environment Agency Maps on flood risk, water quality, landfill and pollution
- National Soils Resources Institute (LandIS). Interactive soil map and reports
- Natural England Includes interactive map website, showing geological sites, Nature Reserves etc.
- Ordnance Survey of Ireland Includes free online map viewer
UK and Ireland (old maps)
- Cheshire Tithe maps Almost 500 Tithe maps are now available online, showing land use and ownership from 150 years ago
- Lancashire maps (Mario) Interactive map of Lancashire with several layers of historical maps available.
- Lancashire maps (University of Lancaster) Over 70 maps, dating from 1540 to 1831
- National Library of Scotland High resolution, zoomable maps of Scotland, England, Wales and beyond at a range of scales. Dating between 1500's and 1960's.
- Vision of Britain Information on places in Great Britain between 1801-2001. Includes maps and historical descriptions
Manchester (modern and old maps)
- Census & Ward information City of Manchester statistics and maps
- Historical Maps of Manchester Interactive street map of Manchester with layers of historical maps spanning 18th to 20th century
- Manchester City Council Maps, plans and directories spanning 18th – 20th century.
- University of Manchester Campus map Current interactive campus map
- University of Manchester Online Map Collection High resolution, zoomable maps of Manchester, comprising Ordnance Survey sheets, private surveys, bomb damage maps, and detailed street maps and views spanning 18th to 20th century
- COPAC (Consortium of Public and Academic Libraries) - use this heading on the JRUL catalogue to search for maps held in other libraries