Whitworth Art Gallery Archive
Date range: 1887-present
Number of items:
The Whitworth Art Galley was established in 1889 as part of the Manchester Whitworth Institute. The Institute was supported by money bequeathed by the great Manchester industrialist, Sir Joseph Whitworth (1803-1887). Since 1958, the Gallery has been part of the University of Manchester. The Gallery is located in Whitworth Park, close to the University's main campus.
The Gallery's archive includes records of the governing bodies and administration of the Gallery, including those of the Whitworth Institute, which originally oversaw the Gallery. These include minute books and correspondence files. There are a range of records relating to the Gallery building, dating from the opening of the current Gallery to various rebuilding projects in the 1960s and 1990s. There is also a single document book of the short-lived Manchester and Salford Society of the Friends of Art (1906-1908). The archive does not contain records relating directly to the Gallery's collections.
The Gallery's archive is an important source of information for the development of provincial art galleries in the UK since the late-Victorian period.
- Catalogue available online via ELGAR.
- C. R. Dodwell, The Whitworth Art Gallery: The First Hundred Years (Manchester, 1988).
Whitworth Art Gallery website