mobile menu decorative search icon decorativeSearch the site

Pluscarden Charters

Date range: 1233-1565

Number of items:

Charters relating to Pluscarden Priory near Elgin, Morayshire.

Pluscarden was founded in 1230 by Alexander II, King of Scots, for monks of the Valliscaulian Order, whose mother house at Val-des-Choux in Burgundy had been established for a mere thirty years when it sent its Rule into Scotland. The only other foundations of the Order outside France were at Beauly near Inverness and Ardchattan in Argyll.

The collection comprises twelve of the earliest surviving charters of Pluscarden Priory, including:

  • A confirmation by Andrew, Bishop of Moray, in 1233 of the grants made to Pluscarden by King Alexander II of Scotland;
  • Alexander II's second charter of 1236;
  • A charter of Andrew, Bishop of Moray, 1237;
  • A transumpt of 1240 purporting to summarize all charters granted during the first ten years of the priory's existence, amongst them the lost foundation charter;
  • A writ of David II of Scotland in favour of Pluscarden concerning the multures of certain lands, 1367;
  • A transumpt of 1551 containing copies of a papal Bull of 1453/4 concerning the amalgamation of the houses of Urquhart and Pluscarden, and of the charter of confirmation above.

There are also two precepts from Walter, the Abbot, and the Convent of Kinloss to their bailies to give seisin of certain lands, 1559 and 1565.

See also:

Further Information:

Catalogue available online via ELGAR.

Location: