Manchester Reform Club Archive
Date range: 1886–1987
Number of items:
Manchester Reform Club was established in 1867 as a gentlemen’s club for Liberal politicians and supporters in the Manchester area. In 1871 it moved into purpose-built premises on King Street, designed by the architect Edward Salomons.
The Club’s fortunes paralleled those of the national Liberal Party. For example, the Club’s membership was divided over Gladstone’s support for Irish Home Rule in 1886, and the splits between Asquithian Liberals and Lloyd George Coalition Liberals were reflected locally. Faced with declining membership in the 20th century, the Reform Club merged with the Engineers’ Club in 1967 to form the Manchester Club, which was eventually wound up in 1988.
- Minute books of the Club’s many committees;
- Financial papers;
- Membership records;
- Records relating to the building;
- Cuttings books;
- A photograph album.
As well as illuminating the history of the Club, the collection has wide significance for studies of 19th-century radicalism and the history of the Liberal movement in Manchester.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.