Manchester Pharmaceutical Association Archive
Date range: 1828-1987
Number of items:
The Manchester Pharmaceutical Association was a professional body representing pharmacists in the Manchester area. It was founded in 1828 as the Apothecaries, Chemists and Druggists Society. By 1868 the title had been modified to the Manchester Chemists and Druggists Association, and the name was changed again in 1883 to the Manchester Pharmaceutical Association.
In 1922 the Manchester, Salford and District Branch of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain was established, and the Branch and Association worked in parallel for many years.
The archive comprises: a set of minutes books of the Association Council and Branch Executive (largely complete to 1973); incomplete sets of annual reports and accounts; membership records, and Association publications. There are also records relating to the Association’s work in pharmaceutical education, including some student registers of the Manchester School (College) of Pharmacy; the latter are of some significance as they are the only known records of the School.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.