Hodgson, Robinson and Company Archive
Date range: 1811-1886
Number of items:
Hodgson, Robinson & Company (formerly Green & Hodgson) was a major British import/export house trading with South America during the first half of the 19th century.
The developing markets of South America provided good opportunities for British textile manufacturers and merchants to export their wares, while wool, hides, tallow and dried beef were traded in the opposite direction. James Hodgson went into partnership with Joseph Green of Liverpool in 1818, trading between Britain and Argentina.
The partnership was dissolved in 1829 and in the following year Hodgson formed a partnership with John Robinson, his former accountant; both partners were based in Buenos Aires. The partnership lasted until 1844, whereupon James Hodgson returned to Liverpool, although he continued to trade on his own account, and still owned a ranch in the Cordoba province of Argentina.
The archive comprises: financial records such as invoice books, sales books, cash books and ranch accounts; twelve copy letter-books; personal notebooks and diaries of James Hodgson after his return to England; and a large quantity of incoming correspondence.
The archive provides valuable insights into the mechanisms of foreign trade and investment during the 19th century, particularly between Great Britain and the countries of South America. It is also a useful source for the more general social and economic history of the British merchant community in South America in this period.
Catalogue available via ELGAR.