Finney of Fulshaw Deeds
Date range: 1416-1914 (bulk 17th-19th centuries)
Number of items: 367 items
The archive comprises mainly deeds of title relating to the Finney family and their estate at Fulshaw Hall in Wilmslow, Cheshire, which was purchased in 1682 along with a smaller neighbouring estate known as Alcock’s Green. It includes deeds of conveyance, leases, agreements, mortgages and bonds, concerning property at Fulshaw and other townships within the parish of Wilmslow; it refers not only to the Finneys, but also to their tenants and other families in the area. The collection also incorporates deeds and documents relating to the Finneys’ predecessors at Fulshaw, in particular the Newtons, who acquired a large part of Fulshaw in the 16th century, and also the families of Verdon and Davenport, who held land in Fulshaw and the surrounding areas from the later medieval period.
The archive is a useful source of information for local, social and family historians, many deeds giving topographical details, such as field names, and details of tenants, family relationships and, in a few instances, husbandry practices.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.