Date range: 20th century
Number of items: c.2,000 items.
This important collection of books published in and about Esperanto includes the extensive library of Neil Salvesen (1944-1990).
For most of his adult life Salvesen held administrative posts in the textile industry. He was introduced to Esperanto by a friend and quickly became an enthusiastic Esperantist and active member of the Manchester Esperanto Society. A little over two years before his early death in 1990 he was appointed an official of the Universal Esperanto Association (Universala Esperanto-Asocio) and was based in Rotterdam.
The collection is arranged according to broad subject groups:
- Encyclopaedias and dictionaries;
- Original and translated poetry;
- Original works;
- Translated works;
- Works in other languages about Esperanto;
- Journals and yearbooks.
- Partly uncatalogued.
- Recorded in Library Search.
- Unpublished handlist available via the Special Collections reading rooms.