Date range: 1384-1764
Number of items:
Records forming part of the archives of the Nicholas family of West Horsley, Surrey. They relate chiefly to Sir Edward Nicholas (1593-1669), Secretary of State to Charles I and Charles II, to his sons John and Edward, and to the Nicholas estates in West Horsley, Surrey, and Gillingham, Dorset.
- letters to Sir Edward Nicholas as Secretary of State, 1643-44;
- account books of Edward Nicholas esq. as Treasurer and General Receiver, 1694-1715;
- important manorial court rolls for West Horsley, 1385-1709;
- manorial court records for Gillingham, including a court book, survey, rental, perambulation and accounts, 1469-1725;
- an important collection of documents concerning the anti-enclosure riots at Gillingham in 1642–48;
- other documents relating to property in West Horsley and Gillingham, including deeds of conveyance, mortgages, leases and accounts.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.