Order an image
The Heritage Imaging team provides photographic prints, and digital files of Special Collections material for research and publication.
Before placing your order
- Check our image collections to see if the Special Collections material that you require has already been digitised.
- We do not accept requests from Inter-Library Loan Departments; please refer individuals directly to our service.
- You must have our permission to publish any images we supply.
- You should also ensure that copyright restrictions are being observed when placing an order.
- Changes to VAT regulations from January 2015 will affect how we supply images to EU customers. Please contact us for further information.
Placing an order
Completing the application form
The form must be completed in full with a personal signature and should contain the following details:
- Full Bibliographic details of the item(s) from which copies are required.
- Image format required.
- The purpose for which the images are required.
If you are unable to provide sufficient bibliographic data for us to process your order, you may wish to engage the services of a third party researcher to undertake a comprehensive search on your behalf.
The Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA) is a useful resource to help locate a local researcher.
- Payment will be requested in advance of an order being processed.
- Payment can be made via our Heritage Imaging eStore. Please let us know if you wish to arrange an alternative method of payment.
- Please note we do not accept payment by cheque.
- Our standard turnaround time from receipt of a completed application form is four weeks.
- An express service is undertaken at double the current price listings.
Express images will be supplied within five working days of receipt of the completed application. Please note that during peak periods we may be unable to process orders for non-stock images.
You can apply using the Heritage Imaging Service online application form.
Or, if you prefer, you can download a copy of the Heritage Imaging Service application form (PDF) and post the completed form to us.
By placing an order or making an application for reproduction you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.
Return your completed form by fax, email or post to:
CHICC Imaging Office
The John Rylands Library
Tel: +44 (0)161 306 6559
Fax: +44 (0)161 834 5574
Preservation of the Library's collections is covered by our Collection Management Policy. It is our intention to make sure that all collections are preserved for the future.
For this reason, we reserve the right to refuse any imaging service application which in our opinion may cause damage to the original material if processed.
Where this occurs, we will explain to you why we cannot proceed with your original request, and offer an alternative if one is available.
You will need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat (downloadable from Adobe) to view PDF file(s). PDF files open in a new window.