mobile menu decorative search icon decorativeSearch the site

Open Access Gateway

New HEFCE and University policies require that all peer-reviewed journal articles and conference papers accepted from 1 April 2016 must be Open Access.

What do I need to do to meet these requirements?

On acceptance, use the Library deposit form to send your Author Accepted Manuscript (AAM) to the Library.

What happens next?

The Library will then ensure that your paper meets the Open Access requirements to be eligible for the next REF by verifying the manuscript version, checking applicable journal and funder policies and setting embargo periods on publication.

What if I'm publishing my paper via Gold Open Access?

You should deposit via the Library deposit form on acceptance, checking the box to make an Open Access funding request. Requests will be assessed based on eligibility criteria.

If your Open Access costs have been paid from another fund then you do not need to deposit your paper.

What if I can’t meet the requirements of the policy?

HEFCE acknowledges that there will be cases where outputs are unable to meet the requirements of the policy. In these circumstances authors should still send the Author Accepted Manuscript (AAM) to the Library via email, with a request for an exception to be recorded against the output, rather than using the Library deposit form.