The Rylands collection
This collection displays highlights spanning five millennia from the vast resources of the Special Collections Division of the University of Manchester Library. It now contains over 6000 images and we are adding new images regularly. Additions from Jan 2009 .
Among the types of material included in this wide ranging collection are examples of:
- Decorated manuscripts, including illuminated medieval Books of Hours, Persian Shahnamas and Chinese drawings and paintings
- Papyri including the renowned St John fragment and other early biblical texts. For more papyrus images see Rylands Papyri
- Landmark works in typography including pages from the Gutenberg bible and works by Caxton, England's first printer
- Fine printing
- Key historical texts
- Documents relating to social history and the history of science, technology and medicine
- Exquisite bookbindings, etc etc
Also included are images of the historic John Rylands Library building in Deansgate, Manchester.
We welcome any comments about The Rylands Collection.