Lady Darcy Maxwell (1742-1810)
Lady Darcy Maxwell was born in Brisbane, Scotland, the daughter of Thomas Brisbane. She was educated at home and in Edinburgh and at the age of seventeen was married to Sir William Maxwell. Her husband died after just three years, leaving her in possession of a substantial fortune.
Maxwell was a member of the Church of Scotland and retained this alleigance despite joining the Edinburgh Methodist society in 1764. One of the few prominent Scottish Methodist converts, Maxwell was a close friend and regular correspondent of John Wesley. She founded a boys school in 1770 and was a generous supporter of Methodist and Anglican causes.
In 1786 Maxwell was named executrix to Lady Glenorchy and was given a particular responsibility for maintaining Glenorchy's chapels and other institutions.
Source: Annie Keeling, Eminent Methodist Women (1889), Encyclopedia of World Methodism (1974) and Dictionary of Evangelical Biography 1739-1860, edited by Donald M. Lewis (1995)