William Temple Foundation Archives
Date range: 1942–99.
Archives of the William Temple Foundation, formerly the William Temple College. The college was founded in 1947 at Hawarden, Flintshire, in furtherance of the concern of Archbishop Temple to encourage engagement between the churches and wider society.
The college moved to Rugby in 1954, and thence to Manchester in 1971, whereupon it changed its name to the William Temple Foundation.
It is now a research and resource centre for those developing discipleship and ministry in an urban/industrial society.
It is particularly involved in industry, employment, community work and the issue of poverty, and it provides training for church-related community work.
Material in the archive reflects these concerns and activities, and includes minutes of the governors and committees, memoranda, financial accounts, official letters, course programmes, prospectuses, student registers, articles and newspaper cuttings, and printed ephemera, documenting the history of the college and its involvement in courses, research programmes, projects and conferences.