Henry Ryder (1777-1836)
Henry Ryder was the third son of Lord Harrowby. He was educated at Harrow and St John's College Cambridge. In 1800 he was appointed to the family living of Sandon in Staffordshire and the following year became Rector of Lutterworth in Leicestershire. Ryder was appointed Canon of Windsor in 1808, Dean of Wells in 1812, Bishop of Gloucester in 1815 and Bishop of Lichfield in 1824.
Ryder became an evangelical through his friendship with Thomas Robinson and his reading of such writers as John Newton. He instituted family prayers and scripture readings and was active in the British and Foreign Bible Society and Church Missionary Society. Ryder was the first evangelical to become a bishop.
As bishop of Lichfield, Ryder erected thirty new churches in the diocese and was generous in donating to their costs.
Ryder's wife, Sophia March-Phillipps was a neice of the Methodist Jane March, one of John Wesley's correspondents.
Source: Dictionary of Evangelical Biography 1739-1860, edited by Donald M. Lewis (1995) and Fletcher-Tooth collection (MARC)