George Mortimer (fl.1820)
George Mortimer was an Anglican minister who served as curate of Madeley from 1815 until 1825. Little is known about his early life although, as his sister lived in London, there may be a connection with that city. His sister also had links with City Road Chapel and Mortimer, based on the evidence of his correspondence, certainly possessed evangelical sympathies. He does not appear in the published lists of Oxford and Cambridge alumni, but was evidently a man of good education.
Mortimer enjoyed a cordial relationship with Mary Fletcher and Mary Tooth in the years leading up to his appointment to Madeley. It is clear from his letters that he had previously served in a ministerial capacity in the Wellington area of Shropshire, probably as curate to the Vicar of Wellington John Eyton. Two of Mortimer's children [Cecil and Maria] by his wife Mary were baptised at Wellington parish church in 1813 and 1814.
After Fletcher's death, his relationship with the Madeley Methodists became quite strained and the charge was made against him that he was damaging their once close relationship with the parish church.
Source: Fletcher-Tooth collection (MARC) and information provided by Mr John Lenton.