William Gibson (1832-94)
William Gibson was the son of the Wesleyan minister Ralph Gibson.
He was educated at Woodhouse Grove School and was converted there. At the age of fifteen he decided to enter the ministry and was ordained in 1852.
After ten years service in home circuits, Gibson was appointed to Paris upon the opening of a new church in the Rue Roquepine. He remained in Paris for ten years and then spent six years in London before returning to France.
Gibson was responsible for extending the work from Paris to a network of stations in Rouen and Havre and embarked on a number of publicity and fund-raising tours of Canada and the United States.
Gibson died suddenly shortly after attending the 1894 Birmingham Conference.
Source: Minutes of Conference 1895