George Cussons (1734-1817)
George Cussons was born in Ampleforth, Yorkshire. Orphaned at the age of thirteen, he was apprenticed to a cabinetmaker. At the age of twenty he moved to York and lodged with a Methodist family - his first introduction to the movement. In 1760 Cussons moved on to Scarborough where he was converted and joined the society. He married Hannah Flinton in 1763 and in 1774 the couple moved to London where he was introduced to several prominent lay Methodists, one of whom, Mr Thornton, loaned him sufficient money to establish his own business in Oxford Street.
Cussons and his wife were devoted members of the London society throughout the rest of their lives. They attended worship in West Street and Great Queen Street and he was the leader of two classes. He was one of the joint founders of the Naval and Military Bible Society and a chief promoter of the Strangers' Friend Society, acting as sub-treasurer of the West London district for nearly twenty years.
Cussons was a long serving trustee of Great Queen Street Chapel and in 1814 was appointed to the same position at City Road Chapel.
Cussons was described by Stevenson as 'a model of punctuality in his business&His habits were methodical, his manners modest; in dress he was a model of plainness and neatness. In person he was above the middle size, and in youth was athletic and active. His countenance beamed with suavity and kindness..'.
He is buried with his wife in the City Road burial ground.
Source: George John Stevenson, City Road Chapel, London, and its Associations, Historical, Biographical, and Memorial (1872), p.448-449