Warburton of Arley Muniments and Related Collections
Date range: 12th-19th centuries.
There are three components to the Warburton collections:
The Arley Charters (12th-17th centuries) constitute a muniment collection of national importance, noted for the large number of early charters, including charters of the constables of Chester and several monastic examples, and its fine seals.
They mainly concern the Dutton and Warburton families and their Cheshire estates in Appleton, Aston by Budworth, Aston by Sutton, Chester, Dutton, Great Budworth, Lower Walton, Lymm, Newton by Chester, Northwich, Poulton, Pulford, Sutton, Thelwall, Warburton, Wincham and Winnington. In addition there are 13th- and 14th-century deeds relating to Beverley in Yorkshire.
The main, deposited, collection comprises the muniments of the Warburton family of Arley Hall, Cheshire (16th to 19th century).
It consists of muniments of title, settlements, mortgages, leases, bonds, rentals, manorial records, Acts of Parliament, plans, estate correspondence, papers relating to enclosure, roads in Warburton, Great Budworth church and other churches and schools, Croxton family papers, and an extensive collection of 18th-century accounts for the house and estate at Arley and the family residence in London.
The deeds and other papers relate to properties in Appleton, Aston by Budworth, Aston by Sutton, Comberbach, Crowley, Higher Whitley, Sutton and Warburton.
The third component consists of papers relating to the navigation of the River Weaver in Cheshire from the 1750s and 1760s, including correspondence of Sir Peter Warburton, accounts, and contemporary official documents.
- Published calendar of Arley Charters, W. Beamont, A Calendar of Ancient Family Charters Preserved at Arley Hall, Cheshire (London, 1866).
- Unpublished manuscript handlist of main collection.
- River Weaver papers unlisted.