Date range: 1233-1565.
Charters relating to Pluscarden Priory near Elgin, Morayshire.
Pluscarden was founded in 1230 by Alexander II, King of Scots, for monks of the Valliscaulian Order, whose mother house at Val-des-Choux in Burgundy had been established for a mere thirty years when it sent its Rule into Scotland.
The only other foundations of the Order outside France were at Beauly near Inverness and Ardchattan in Argyll.
The collection comprises twelve of the earliest surviving charters of the house, including a confirmation by Andrew, Bishop of Moray, in 1233 of grants made by Alexander II, the King's second charter of 1236; and a transumpt which purports to summarize all charters granted during the first ten years of the monastery's existence, among them the lost foundation charter.
There are also two precepts of the Abbot and Convent of Kinloss, 1559 and 1565.
- Unpublished handlist.
- Note in Bulletin of the John Rylands Library, vol. 38 (1955-6), pp. 274-6.