John Wilkinson Papers
John Frederick Wilkinson (1897-1998) was a pioneer in the field of haematology.
A medical graduate of the University of Manchester, Wilkinson was director of the Department of Clinical Investigations and Research at the Manchester Royal Infirmary from 1928 to 1947, and reader in medicine and haematology at the University of Manchester, 1947-1962.
Wilkinson carried out much early research into pernicious anaemia and malignant blood diseases, and undertook important studies on the relationship between gastric carcinoma and anaemias. He also had interests in diseases of the endocrine system and allergic diseases.
Wilkinson founded the Manchester and Salford Blood Transfusion Service in 1938, and was chairman of the haemophilia committee of the Medical Research Council, established in 1953.
He was also known for his outstanding collection of historic pharmacy jars, which are now housed in a special gallery in the Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds.
The collection comprises files relating to Wilkinson’s clinical research into pernicious anaemia, nutritional anaemias, and the relationship between gastric secretions and anaemias.
There are papers concerning his studies into acute and chronic leukaemias, haemophilia, and diseases of the endocrine glands.
Wilkinson’s relationships with other practitioners and with pharmaceutical companies are also represented in the archive.
In addition there are several boxes of patient record cards, and numerous slide specimens.