Date range: 13th–19th centuries.
Correspondence, papers and deeds relating to the Clowes and Chetham families, and to the Clowes estates, mainly in south-east Lancashire and particularly Manchester.
The Chetham family were associated with Manchester since medieval times: they are recorded as holding land in the township of Cheetham, north of Manchester, in the reign of King John.
The best-known member of the family was the merchant and financier Humphrey Chetham (1580–1653), under whose will Chetham’s Hospital and Library were founded.
The Clowes family originated at Rudyard, near Leek in Staffordshire.
Samuel Clowes, a merchant, moved to Manchester in the early eighteenth century and built up estates in Manchester, Gorton, Worsley and Tyldesley, becoming Lord of the Manor of Booths in Worsley.
His son Samuel (1691–1773) acquired the extensive Broughton estate near Manchester through his marriage to Mary Chetham, sister and co-heiress of Edward Chetham, and great-grand-daughter of Humphrey Chetham.
The collection includes several fine medieval documents relating to the manors of Butterworth and Crompton, east of Rochdale, and Moston and Nuthurst, north-east of Manchester.
There are later deeds and documents relating inter alia to Crumpsall, Failsworth, Manchester, Oldham, Salford, Turton and Wigan; arbitration awards; marriage settlements; and many letters and papers of the Chetham family.
Catalogue available online via the A2A website.