About digitisation activities and services
The University of Manchester Library has a world renowned collection of over 4 million items, including significant numbers of early printed books, archives and manuscripts. A large number of these items are already available in digital format and many more will be digitised in the future.
We encourage academics from The University of Manchester to submit requests for digitisation projects to support teaching and research, a key element of the Library’s Digitisation Strategy. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance and we will contact you to discuss your proposal.
The Library’s Heritage Imaging Team has built up considerable expertise through such heritage digitisation projects as the Genizah and Middle English Manuscripts. High quality photographic services are also available to individual and corporate customers.
Images from the Library’s collections can be accessed through Library Search.
The Library also provides a growing digitisation service to University staff for taught course material digitised under the Copyright Licensing Agency’s Higher Education Comprehensive Scanning Licence.
Applying for a digitisation project
Please note the following points of guidance before applying for a digitisation project:
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to identify, trace, and seek formal permission of the copyright owner where material requested for digitisation is still in copyright.
- Each digitisation project will be considered on its own merits.
- Priority for digitisation projects will be given to Library and University of Manchester collections.
- All applications are subject to approval by the Librarian.
Application for Digitisation Project (Microsoft Word, 46 KB)
The University of Manchester Digital Library
Contains digital collections produced by the University of Manchester Library.
- Image collections - displayed using Luna Insight
- Full-text books
- Bulletin of the John Rylands University Library (published by Manchester University Press)
Please send completed applications and any queries to email@example.com.