George Stonehouse (1714-93)
George Stonehouse was born in Hungerford Park, Bedfordshire. He was educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and entered the Anglican ministry in 1736. He met John Wesley after his return from Georgia and was converted shortly afterwards. In 1738 he became Vicar of St Mary's in the London parish of Islington where for a time Charles Wesley acted as his curate.
After coming under the influence of the Moravians, Stonehouse resigned from his parish in 1740 and spent twelve years with Count Zinzendorf in Germany. He also travelled widely in pursuit of his studies of Syraic New Testament manuscripts.
After his return to England, Stonehouse lived in semi-retrement at Dornford in Oxfordshire.
Source: Encyclopedia of World Methodism (1974) and Dictionary of Evangelical Biography 1739-1860 edited by Donald M. Lewis (1995)