James Rouquet (c.1730-1776)
James Rouquet was of Huguenot background. He was converted while a pupil at Merchant Taylor's School from where he went up to St John's College Oxford in 1748-49. By 1751 Rouquet had been placed in supervision of Kingswood School and three years later was appointed to a curacy in Gloucestershire.
After being dismissed from his parish, Rouquet moved to Bristol and for the next twenty years exercised a varied ministry in prisons, almshouses and as lecturer of St Nicholas.
A friend of the Countess of Huntingdon, Rouqet married one of her circle, the Dowager Countess of Deloraine. In 1765 he became Vicar of West Harptree and four years later swapped parishes with the curate of St Werburgh's in Bristol.
Rouquet tried to maintain friendly relations with all sections of evangelical opinion, although by the 1770s his personal opinions were more in line with the Calvinists than the Arminians. His outspoken support for the American Revolutionaries placed further distance between him and the Wesleys.
Source: Dictionary of Evangelical Biography, edited by Donald Lewis (1995)