menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

John Richardson (1734-92)

John Richardson was the son of an ale-house keeper from Kirkleathlen in Cleveland. He was educated at Scorton School and St John's College Cambridge, graduating in 1756.

He was ordained into the Anglican Church and served several curacies, before being expelled from his parish for evangelical preaching.

He joined the Methodists in 1762 and was appointed by John Wesley to be an assistant in London. He later served as one of the readers at City Road Chapel and officiated at John Wesley's funeral.

Source: Encyclopedia of World Methodism (1974) and Dictionary of Evangelical Biography edited by Donald Lewis (1995)

Return to Radford - Rymer

Can we help?