Dr John Hunt (1738-1824)
Dr John Hunt was a surgeon of Norwich. He entertained John Wesley during his several visits to the area during the 1780s and was a generous contributor to the costs of erecting the town's Ebenezer Chapel. He is described as 'eccentric but deeply pious'.
Hunt retired to the small Norfolk village of Gissing where he built a small chapel on his own property which he subsequently left to the Connexion. He also licensed a house that he owned in Burston for preaching and was himself an accredited local preacher on the Diss circuit plan in 1814.
Source: A Biographical Dictionary of 18th century Methodism by Samuel Rogal (Edwin Mellen Press 1997)and The Spreading Flame: The coming of Methodism to Norfolk by Cyril Jolly (Dereham, c.1970), 54.