menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

William Huckerby (1746-1836)

William Huckerby was a chief promoter of the Methodist cause in his native village of Bingham, Nottinghamshire. He himself was a devout Methodist for over seventy years and a class leader for sixty-three. In 1773 he established the first Methodist Preaching House in Bingham and provided hospitality for the itinerants as well as John Wesley during his visit to the village in July 1770.

Huckerby died on October 16th 1836.

Source: A Biographical Dictionary of 18th century Methodism by Samuel Rogal (Edwin Mellen Press 1997 and Arminian Magazine 1836, 966

Return to Habersham - Hutton

Can we help?