William Delamotte (c.1718-1743)
William Delamotte was the son of a wealthy sugar merchant of London, resident at Blendon Hall near Bexley, Kent. William went up to St Catherine's College Cambridge in 1736 and after suffering from a serious illness, began to seek actively for conversion. He was strengthened in his resolve by attending the preaching in London of Charles Wesley and Benjamin Ingham and he subsequently founded a fellowship group upon his return to college. In 1738 Delamotte's group merged with another one founded by Francis Okely who later became a Moravian minister.
Delamotte accompanied Ingham on a preaching tour to Bedford and came increasingly under Moravian influence. In 1739 he travelled to Yorkshire with Ingham and engaged on a highly successful lay preaching ministry. He returned to Cambridge after a year-long absence but soon left the college and moved to London where he hoped to work in association with the Fetter Lane Group. Delamotte's health deteriated and he died in London in January 1743, shortly after returning from Yorkshire where he had spent some time with the Moravian community at Smith House.
Source: Dictionary of Evangelical Biography, edited by Donald Lewis (1995)