menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

Sedbergh School Library Collection

900 items.

The historic library of Sedbergh School in Cumbria (formerly the North Riding of Yorkshire) was deposited on permanent loan in 1972–73.

The school was founded in 1525 by Dr Roger Lupton, Provost of Eton and a native of Sedbergh, and endowed by him with lands associated with a chantry.

The constitution of the school was revised by the Endowed Schools Commissioners in 1874, when the buildings were greatly enlarged. Girls were admitted to the school for the first time in 2001. Today Sedbergh is an independent boarding school with over 500 pupils.1

The collection is a good representative example of an English public-school library.

Of the 900 volumes, approximately 300 date from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries.

Prominent among these are:

  • works of Classical literature, including an edition of Horace (Paris, 1519)
  • historical works such as Matthew Parker’s De Antiquitate Ecclesiae et Privilegiis Ecclesiae Cantuariensis, revised by Samuel Drake (London, 1729)
  • also religious texts, for example the works of Peter the Martyr (Zurich, 1567), and Benedictus Aretius’s Commentarii in Quatuor Evangelistas (Morges, Switzerland, 1580)

The remainder of the collection, dating from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, covers a broad subject range, and includes works in Spanish, German and French. More popular series include The Story of the Nations, a French ten-volume Histoire Générale, and Stanfords Compendium of Geography. There are several presentation volumes from eminent former pupils.

1The school archives are housed at the school itself, and at Cumbria Record Office, Kendal.

Finding aids

Recorded in general printed-book catalogue.

Location

The John Rylands Library

Using the reading rooms in the John Rylands Library

Can we help?