Manchester Paediatric Club Archive
Date range: 1948–91.
Manchester Paediatric Club was formed in 1948 with the aims of promoting fellowship among local paediatricians, raising the profile of paediatrics in the Manchester area and ensuring that the specialism was properly treated by the new Manchester Regional Hospital Board.
Paediatrics as a distinct specialism advanced rapidly with the development of the National Health Service. Originally membership was dominated by consultant paediatricians, but from the 1960s onwards membership was extended to include a wider range of medical and non-medical personnel concerned with the care of children.
In 1992 Manchester Paediatric Club merged with Manchester Medical Society’s own Paediatrics Section (formed in 1964), although the name of the Manchester Paediatric Club has been retained for reasons of continuity.
The archive largely comprises minutes and administrative papers of the Club, including an incomplete set of the Society’s handbooks, minutes of the executive committee, reports of annual general meetings, and papers relating to regional and scientific meetings and lectures.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.