menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

Hodgson, Robinson and Company Archive

Date range: 1811–86.

Hodgson, Robinson & Company (formerly Green & Hodgson) was a major British import/export house trading with South America during the first half of the nineteenth century.

The developing markets of South America provided good opportunities for British textile manufacturers and merchants to export their wares, while wool, hides, tallow and dried beef were traded in the opposite direction. James Hodgson went into partnership with Joseph Green of Liverpool in 1818, trading between Britain and Argentina.

The partnership was dissolved in 1829 and in the following year Hodgson formed a partnership with John Robinson, his former accountant; both partners were based in Buenos Aires. The partnership lasted until 1844, whereupon James Hodgson returned to Liverpool, although he continued to trade on his own account, and still owned a ranch in the Cordoba province of Argentina.

The archive comprises :

  • financial records such as:
    • invoice books
    • sales books
    • cash books
    • ranch accounts
  • twelve copy letter-books
  • personal notebooks and diaries of James Hodgson after his return to England
  • a large quantity of loose correspondence

The archive provides valuable insights into the mechanisms of foreign trade and investment during the nineteenth century.

Hodgson, Robinson & Co. had links with two other firms represented at the Library, Owen Owens & Sons and the Fielden Brothers.

Finding aids

Catalogue available via ELGAR.

Location

The John Rylands Library

Using the reading rooms in the John Rylands Library

Can we help?