menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

Hobill Collection

4,600 items.

Formed by G.A.K. Hobill, (1842 - 1912), a leading layman of the Methodist New Connexion, the collection passed into official Church ownership in 1894, and from 1934 was housed at Hartley Victoria College where it was augmented by works on Primitive Methodism and by part of the personal library of the minister and historian James Everett (1784 - 1872).

When transferred to the Library in 1973 it consisted of 475 periodical volumes, 1,000 books and 3,100 pamphlets, embracing all aspects and all periods of Methodist history but with particularly strong coverage of Wesleyan Methodism, Primitive Methodism and the Methodist New Connexion as well as a significant element of local and ephemeral material.

See also

Finding aids

  • Unpublished handlist.
  • Pamphlets recorded on Eighteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (ESTC) and Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue (NSTC).

Location

The John Rylands Library

Using the reading rooms in the John Rylands Library

Can we help?