menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

Records of Henshaw's Society for Blind People

Date range: 1833–1982.

Records of Henshaws Society for Blind People, formerly known as Henshaw’s Blind Asylum, which was opened in Old Trafford, Manchester, in 1837 to provide education, employment and welfare for blind people.

Henshaw’s has gradually broadened the scope of its activities in relation to blindness, and since 1971 it has provided a service for the visually impaired as well as blind people.

The ‘asylum’ was re-named Henshaw’s Institution for the Blind in the 1920s, became Henshaw’s Society for the Blind in 1971, and assumed its present name in 2000.

Today, Henshaw's provides a wide range of services for anyone affected by sight loss.

Records consist of the minutes and financial accounts of Henshaws Society for Blind People and its precursors, including a wide variety of committees, departments and meetings.

Many of the minutes of individual committees include reports from other committees, relevant correspondence, and reports of joint meetings between committees, and many of the volumes are indexed.

Finding aids

Catalogue available online via ELGAR.

Location

The John Rylands Library

Using the reading rooms in the John Rylands Library

Further information

For more information visit the Henshaw's Society for Blind People website.

The University of Manchester is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Can we help?