Charles White Club Archive
Date range: 1929–53.
The Charles White Club was established in 1929 as a social and dining club for senior obstetrical and gynaecological staff of St Mary’s Hospitals, Manchester.
The Club was named after Charles White (1728–1813), one of the most important figures in the history of Manchester medicine: White helped to establish the Manchester Public Infirmary (later the Manchester Royal Infirmary) in 1752.
The Club met monthly at the homes of members, where medical and other matters were discussed in an informal and convivial manner. The last meeting was held in February 1940; thereafter wartime conditions made meetings impossible.
The archive comprises minute books of the Group’s meetings, together with unused membership cards, printing blocks with engravings of Charles White used to print the Club’s logo, and photographs of a portrait of Charles White.
Catalogue available online via ELGAR.